Verizon Wireless set the bar a little higher today by officially launching Skype Mobile of Verizon Wireless. Verizon is the first wireless carrier to not only embrace Skype usage on it 3G network, but also to worked hand and hand with Skype developers toÂ bring the popular Skype calling service to Verizon customers. Let’s take a look at what the new Skype Mobile service has to offer:Â
Skype mobile gives Verizon Wireless 3G smartphone users with data plans a simple new way to stay inÂ touch with friends, family and business colleagues around the corner and around the world while on Verizon Wirelessâ€™ network. Skype mobile users can:
- make and receive unlimited Skype-to-Skype voice calls to any Skype contact around the globe;
- send and receive unlimited instant messages with other Skype users;
- manage the Skype contact list directly from the mobile application; and
- call international phone numbers at competitive Skype calling rates.
Here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- The Skype Mobile application is not a true VoIP solution. The calls are routed over Verizonâ€™s voice network to Skypeâ€™s servers. Only the IM and status updates go through the data network. That means that this app will not work on other carriers networks.
- You cannot dial domestic numbers from the app since the app will prompt you to use your Verizon Wireless calling plan. I guess that makes sense considering the first finding.
Customers will need a Verizon Wireless smartphone and data plan to use Skype mobile. Skype-to-Skype calls will not be charged against their monthly minute allowances or data plans. Verizon Wireless customers can visit www.skype.com to purchase Skype Credit to make Skype Out calls and make calls to international landline or mobile numbers.
Skype mobile is available initially on the BlackBerryÂ® Stormâ„¢ 9530, Storm2â„¢ 9550, Curveâ„¢ 8330, Curveâ„¢ 8530, 8830 World Edition, and Tourâ„¢ 9630 smartphones. To get Skype Mobile on your Verizon BlackBerry smart phone, visit www.verizonwireless.com/skypemobile or www.skype.com/go/mobile from a PC to enter the mobile phone number to receive a text message with a link to the application. Verizon Wireless customers can also text â€œSKYPEâ€ to 2255 to receive the link.