From time to time, I run across BlackBerry users who complain about a few issues with their BlackBerry. It usually turns out that sometimes all they need to do is update their software. I do understand that sometimes users have problems installing BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Fortunately there are a few other ways to update the software on your BlackBerry.
Not to long ago RIM launched its BlackBerry device software update site. This site allows you to update your BlackBerryâ€™s software just by plugging in your BlackBerry to the computer, and clicking the Check for Updates icon. You have to beÂ on a PC (the site doesnâ€™t support Mac), and you also must be using either Windows Internet Explorer or Firefox, since the site doesnâ€™t support some types of web browsers. Let take a step-by-step look at the process.
How to update your operating system using the BlackBerry website:
1. You will need the USB cable that came with your BlackBerry Smartphone. In Internet Explorer go to http://na.blackberry.com/eng/update/ > Plug in your BlackBerry into your computer using your USB cable. > Then click Check for Updates.
2. The site will read your BlackBerry, and bring up a virtual version of BlackBerry Desktop Managerâ€™s Application Loader. If there is an update available for your device, a list of available updates will display on the screen of your computer. Choose the update that says (Preferred).
3. Once you have choosen the OS you want to install you should then come to a screen like you see below. Under Device Software Option, click options.
4. Uncheck any additionalÂ languages you donâ€™t need or check any additional languages you want installed. Do not check or uncheck anything other than languages unless you are sure you know what you are doing. Then on the bottom of the page click SETTINGS.
5. When the setting screen below comes up, check the BACK UP DEVICE DATA AUTOMATICALLY box. This will back-up all the content on your BlackBerry and restore it when the update is complete, then click OK.
6. This screen should come up next, and you can choose to do one or the other.Â Then it will give you the option to click NEXT on the bottom of the page.
7. You should then get a summary page like the one below. Click finish at the bottom of the page.
8. The web based version of Desktop Manager will then begin the upgrade process. Do not unplug, make or answer any phone calls during this process.
9. If all goes well you should see a message like the one below, and your upgrade is complete. If there were any errors and the Application Loader could not install something or was not able to restore your information, it will display on this screen where it stored the back-up of your info on your computer. You will need a full copy of BlackBerry Desktop Manager to restore the information to your device.
A few finalÂ key thoughts… Using BlackBerry Desktop Manager is the best option to do software upgrades, but this gives you another way of getting the job done. Also if already have the latestÂ OS installed, but are having software issues. This is not the way to fixÂ it. That will requireÂ uninstalling and then reinstalling the OS which is best doneÂ using BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Finally RIM is now requiring an active BlackBerry data service on the device before any of their servicesÂ will update your BlackBerry software. So if you are using a BlackBerry and don’t have a data plan, your device may not beÂ allowed to be upgraded.